Information


202 Park Street

P.O. Box 48
Bishop Hill, IL 61419
 
 

Museum Times


Open 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily
from May 1st to October 31st

 

HHC Map

May first marked opening day for the Henry County Historical Society Museum in beautiful historic Bishop Hill.  Society volunteers have been busy during the winter months preparing museum items, including some of our newest exhibits.  One such addition that has generated great interest among visitors is a two-row corn planter manufactureed by the Hayes Pump and Planter Company of Galva.  The company was Galva's main industry from 1886 until operation was discontinued in 1931.  At one time there were 250 men on the payroll and the names of Hayes and Galva were carried on corn planters, pumps, cultivators, harrows, grain drills, and other farm equipment throughout the United States as well as foreign countries.  Dealers and distributors of the Hayes' line at one time numbered over 3,000 in several parts of the country. 

Late April saw over 25 volunteers taking part in a training session and tirelessly working to get the museum ready for visitors.  Exhibits were refreshed and some were moved to accommodate a new quilt exhibit and the Wayne Nordstrom Bottle Exhibit.  Volunteers were also working in a room to prepare it for some significant renovation that will occur in the near future.